Lot n° 23
10000 - 15000
Result with fees
: 11 880EUR
Salmson 2300 S 1954
Chassis n° 85133
"High performance racy car"
The Salmson we present to you belonged to a great enthusiast of the Boulonnaise brand, who counted up no less than five 2300 S in his garage. This Salmson is the last of the five 2300 Sports that the family has kept. Bought in the mid 80's in Alsace, its engine was started to check its good functioning. The car was then stored until today.
The car seems to be quite complete, which is important for a restoration project. We found that the chassis was not damaged by rust. Unfortunately, this is not the case for the underbody and doors, which will have to be treated.
The interior of our 2300 S is in very nice original condition. This Salmson does not deviate from the tradition according to which Salmson used very good quality materials. All instruments are present as well as the Commodor radio.
The left headlight surround has been found, so enthusiasts can rest assured!
The double camshafts are a Salmson signature since the Grand Sport San Sebastien. It is a little marvel of engineering that propels the car upto 180 km/h. The engine in our example was changed to its optimised version. The water pump of the first models was placed at the level of the cylinder head, which could lead to weaknesses and engine failures. The problem was corrected by positioning the water pump lower down in the block.
The cold stamping of the chassis corresponds well to the identity of our Salmson.
The 2300S, designed by Eugène Martin, was presented at the fortieth Salon de l'Automobile in the Grand Palais in Paris in 1953 and looked like the last chance for Salmson, which was then in the throes of many difficulties.
The 2300 S is equipped with a 2328 cm³ twin overhead camshaft aluminium 4-cylinder engine, fed by a double-barrel carburettor, developing 110 horsepower, connected to a Cotal gearbox and its famous "mustard" near the steering wheel. The bodywork is harmonious and the car performs well with a top speed of 178 km/h, which places it firmly among the sports cars, despite its weight of 1230 kg. The first cars were manufactured in Boulogne-Billancourt in a very traditional way. Very quickly, a second version was unveiled; this is the case of our example, which was then bodied by Chapron who moved the fog lamps under the headlights while the front grill gained a third strip. The whole thing is not lacking in allure with, in particular, an inverted grille and rear lights embedded in the rear wings! Apart from its elegance, the 2300 S had exceptional handling and road holding. It was to distinguish itself in the most famous events such as the Coupe des Alpes in 1953, the Liège Rome-Liège, the Rallye des Tulipes and the Rallye de Charbonnières. These charming coupés also distinguished themselves at the Mille Miglia, the Tour de France Automobile and the Monte Carlo!
Our example benefits from the Rudge Wheels, a period option.
As with every discovery of a car, opening the trunk offers its share of surprises. On the programme this time: various spare parts, the original crank as well as the car radio. The Rudge spoked spare wheel is also present.
Factory register, which confirms that our Salmson dates from 1954 whereas it is noted as 1958 on its registration card.
The identity card confirms that the upholstery is indeed the original one. The original hurricane beige colour can also be found notably on the dashboard.
With approximately 230 examples produced from 1953 to 1957, the 2300 S coupe represents a witness to the history of the French automobile. It is a very rare car of which there should not be many left to restore. This is a fantastic restoration project with the opportunity to drive a car of character and sport.
Return to catalogue