Lot n° 21
5000 - 8000
Result with fees
: 13 200EUR
Citroën 5hp type C3 1924 /Sans réserve
The pre-war era at your fingertips!
Who never has smiled at the passing of a 5hp ? Some cars are engraved in the collective imagination, and Citroën's little popular car is certainly one of them. All the great collectors have owned one, as a torpedo, saloon, baker's wagon, cabriolet or coupé. The example offered today, bodied as a covered van, is most probably the work of a local coachbuilder, typical of the pre-war period. It will delight the aficionados of the patina, a real trip back in time.
Our 5hp is ready to face the spring rallies. Its current owner has kept all the bodywork in its original condition but has had a serious mechanical overhaul carried out to be able to drive it serenely. Running gear, engine and electrics have been checked and changed if necessary (invoices available to buyers). The icing on the cake is the addition of a sunroof to take advantage of the refreshing wind on long summer days.
A spartan but efficient dashboard, a comfortable bench seat and a touch of chic with the beautifully patterned door panels, that's all you need to enjoy the pre-war thrill.
Equally at home in the city or the country, the 5hp, 100 years after its production start, proves that it has not usurped its reputation of reliability.
Edmond Moyet was responsible for the design of the Citroen 5HP. He was also the father of the first Amilcar cyclecar and that is why the 5HP is so similar in design. Two years after the release of the first Citroën, the type A, replaced in June 1921 by the type B, the 5HP was officially presented at the Paris Motor Show in October 1921, its real name being the type C. This model was approved by the mining department on 29 November and series production began in June 1922. It is in a new factory of 7 hectares and located at Levallois that the majority of the 5HP left, this construction required 6 months from where the time lag between the production and the presentation. Indeed the installations of the Quai de Javel were not sufficient for the production of all the models. In 1925, there were 5,000 Citroën agents in France, and this network was extremely efficient. The commercial success was enormous. This often yellow car was nicknamed the "Citron". The "factory" range of bodies offered: the 2-seater torpedo "cul de poule", the 3-seater torpedo "faux trèfle" or 3-seater "trèfle", the 2-seater cabriolet called the "Coupé docteur" and finally the utility version for delivery nicknamed the "boulangère". Fuel and oil consumption is low, maintenance costs are reduced to a minimum, and the general equipment is complete, including a spare wheel with tyre, electric headlights and horn. The reliability and sturdiness of its mechanics allowed this emblematic model to run and still be regularly used until the 1960s. Women particularly appreciated its small size and ease of driving; nothing has changed today. After nearly 80,000 examples, the marketing of this model was stopped in May 1926.
The small four-cylinder engine is powered by a high voltage RB magneto. Note the brand new electrical system.
Engine stamps, present on the crankcase mounting bracket.
For transporting spare parts for rally assistance or the Sunday picnic, the utility part comes in handy.
Notice to the young collectors or those a little more experienced with the nostalgia of the grandfather's van. This 5hp is a perfect entry into the pre-war world or a fun bonus to use as a support car in pre-war events. So go ahead, crank it up !
Return to catalogue